A: The patient recovery time is usually immediate and they’re able to go back to their daily life. We do ask the patient not to do any strenuous activities for at least the first 48 hours following surgery. After that period, they can resume their normal work activity levels and gradually resume exercise. Additionally, patients are usually put on a soft-foods diet for about a month while the implant site heals. Once that period has passed, they can resume their normal diet.
We have many patients that call our office asking about a solution for an entire arch of failing teeth. Often many patients assume dentures or bridges are their only solution—they forget about dental implants in DC. Many people don’t even ask about dental implants because they assume the procedure and recovery is painful. We would be lying if we said it was free from any pain at all. However, the pain is so minimal that it’s no different than a filling or crown.
Traditional implants admittedly are a more tedious procedure, and maybe that long process can be a turn-off for some patients. However, when needing a full arch or full set of teeth replaced, there is a revolutionary procedure changing the game.
The biggest draw of this revolutionary procedure is the efficiency at which teeth are replaced and the very brief recovery period. If you follow our blogs, then you have likely read our coverage on this procedure before. However, for those that haven’t or have forgotten—let’s revisit this amazing procedure.
The Revolution Of All On Four Dental Implants In DC
Traditionally, when replacing a full set of teeth with dental implants, anywhere from six to eight implants are needed for each arch! This results in a much longer and tedious procedure and a longer, more difficult recovery time as well. However, with All on Four, all you need is four implants for each arch. All on Four is a form of dental implants in DC that incorporates the modular aspect of dentures with the performance of implants. Rather than have up to 16 implants placed into your mouth, you can simply have four implants per arch.
This can be done thanks to a dental prosthesis that’s quite similar to dentures—because it is essentially just that. The difference is, rather than using a sloppy adhesive to stick the denture to your gums, it’s mounted to the four implants. Also, the materials used in the prosthesis last a lifetime— unlike dentures. In fact, they are custom made to look exactly like your teeth and last upwards of 20 years or more. Additionally, with proper care, these dental implants could even last your entire life.
All on Four dental implants:
- Are a permanent, exact-fit replacement for natural teeth
- Look and function like natural teeth and are more durable since they won’t decay
- Do not need messy adhesives…ever
- Do not impede your speech, restrict your diet, or feel foreign in your mouth
- Allow up to 70% greater bite force than using dentures. This means there isn’t anything you can’t eat
- Most importantly, preserves your jawbone and retains your facial structure
Still have questions? No worries, many of our patients have tons of questions before committing to the All on Four procedure from Dr. Nahlah. Here’s just a sampling of the questions we receive most often.
All On Four Dental Implants In DC FAQ’S
How does the All on Four procedure stack up to traditional implants?
With traditional implants you’re looking at up to eight implants per arch, All on Four cuts that down to just four. Additionally, the All on Four implants are implanted at an angle that allows for more secure fitment and added stability. With traditional implants, bone grafts are necessary more often—with All On Four bone grafts are needed in far fewer cases.
How long does the procedure take? It’s very efficient and precise yet takes only 2.5-3 hours per arch in most cases.
How successful is All on Four?
Currently, this procedure is experiencing one of the highest success rates of any dental procedure at 98%.
Will my results look natural?
100% natural! No one will know you have had dental implants unless you let them know. They are that identical to real teeth minus the decay. However, just because they don’t decay is no excuse to slack on oral hygiene. You can still get bacteria build-up and get gingivitis which can bring on other complications.
Do I get my permanent teeth the same day?
As is the case with any surgery, your mouth and gums need time to heal. However, Dr. Nahlah provides you with temporary teeth until you heal. Once healed, you’ll come back in and get your permanent teeth bonded to the implants.
What if only my top arch needs replacing?
That’s not a problem at all, just like with regular dental implants in DC, sometimes you only have certain teeth failing. All on Four can be performed for one arch or both, and we’ll evaluate whether you need both replaced or not. Dr. Nahlah is very thorough and honest, he won’t let you walk out without a clear treatment plan.
After Your All On Four Procedure
Many patients who get dental implants in DC or All on Four are most concerned with recovery. In fact, aside from the surgical aspect of it, it’s the aspect most patients fear. However, with All on Four, the recovery is minimally painful. Most patients schedule on a Friday and return to work on Monday with just some Tylenol.
That being said there are some basic guidelines to ensure a smooth recovery without incident:
- Stay at home and rest—refrain from strenuous activities for the first 48 hours post-surgery.
- After sedation, you might experience some drowsiness or light-headed feeling for up to 12 hours following surgery. Have someone to care for you as a precaution.
- Keep your hands away from your mouth and do not pull on your lips or cheeks to look at the incisions. This is to prevent suture damage and infection from dirty hands.
- If prescribed medications other than OTC pain relievers, make sure to take them as directed.
- There may be significant swelling after the procedure. When you get home apply an ice pack to both sides of your face every 20 minutes. Do this for the rest of the day and you can alternate with a warm, wet towel to reduce swelling. Swelling usually peaks within the first two to three days of recovery, then begins to subside.
- Sometimes, bruising will appear after surgery usually after the first 48 hours or so. It will usually occur above or below the implant sites. Don’t worry, it’s normal and will go away within a week or so.
Diet & Nutrition Guidelines During Recovery
One of the most important parts of recovery is proper nutrition with caution regarding what you eat. Since you will be wearing a temporary prosthesis while your gums heal you should stick to a soft diet during this time. Hard or crunchy foods are too difficult to eat during this phase and can hinder proper healing. Also, the temporary prosthesis is not designed to exert much force so soft is always the safe way to go.
Examples Of Safe Foods
Basically, any food that is easy to chew and swallow and doesn’t require much force is acceptable. Many patients chop, grind, mash, or puree fruits, vegetables, and other staples. Here is a general example of foods you can enjoy during recovery.
- Pureed fruits such as applesauce
- Cooked fruits or ripe fruits such as peaches or bananas
- Canned fruits without seeds or skin
- Well-cooked soft veggies such as green beans
- Baked fish, canned tuna
- Rotisserie chicken (shredded)
- Soups with tender meat and vegetables such as beef stew
- Tofu or Tempeh
- Meal replacement shakes
- Soft Bread (no hard crust)
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
- Ice Cream
Other Important Restrictions
In addition to your restricted diet, you need to restrict yourself from heavy lifting or exercise for at least the first week. These activities raise blood pressure which can induce bleeding and prolong the healing process. After the first week, Dr. Nahlah will advise you on how to gradually return to your normal activity levels.
PLEASE DO NOT SMOKE: Smoking in and of itself is a dangerous habit, but more so following surgery. It dries out your tissues in the mouth, can cause bleeding, and delay healing. You need to cease smoking for at least a week following surgery if not longer.
DON’T HESITATE TO CALL US: If you notice something abnormal such as extensive bleeding, or excessive pain—call us. The sooner we diagnose the cause the better we can treat the underlying reason, better to be safe than sorry.
Interested in All On Four Dental Implants in DC?
If you’re struggling with missing a full arch or all of your teeth, Dr. Nahlah can help! At least come in for a free consultation and explore your options. We want to see you happy to smile and live your best life, so contact us today!